Saturday, July 19, 2014

Lose that body fat - The history

Well, we know that's not going to happen for sure. I am no doctor or nutritionist or dietician. This story is about me, about what I did for almost a decade - a period where I went through the highs and lows of body weight and in that process, figured out myself a little better. 

1. Fear is always good
Rewinding back to 2004 - London. Fortunately, I was not that fat. I was hovering around the 70s. Waist line was 33 or so. Exercise was not on my mind. The only sport I had played was volleyball and I was not good. My family had a history of people suffering from high cholesterol, sugar and the usual stuff that ends up giving someone a heart attack. I told myself one thing - I may not be able to eliminate all that from coming to me but I can definitely delay it. The simple fear got me going.

2. Take a small step
I decided to give a shot at spinning classes. One of my colleagues was killing it at 32yrs whereas I was gasping for breath. I told myself to just be regular at it. I signed up for a Nike 10K run for the first time. I looked up some training schedules for running. My instructor told me that I should try and finish under an hour. I trained for about 2 months and I ended up at 57. I was pumped. The result was visible. Over the next 2 years until I joined ISB, I managed a few more 10Ks. From spinning, I graduated to Spinning & Abs, Extreme Spinning, Body-Pump. Essentially, I didn't stop myself from getting bored from the same routine. The other incentive was I get to see some hot British women in active wear. All this time, I was not too bothered about what I was eating. Didn't even have whey protein. I would only strive to get to the level where my t-shirt is cold and dripping with sweat.

3. Get passionate
April 2006 and afterwards. I was introduced to Ultimate Frisbee. I was kicked about the fact that I could learn a totally new sport. In school, all my friends played basketball and football. I was not very tall to play basketball and not that great at football either to make the cut. In college, everyone played cricket and I hated that game. So, Frisbee was like a boon. Obviously running was an important part so I spent a good time during the week running on the treadmill. Still no fancy supplements.

4. Rolling stone gathers no moss
So, in effect, I was just doing some activity all the time but only since 2004 April. First it was gym classes and a bit of running. And then it was just Frisbee. If you are reading this and you are thinking about losing weight, the first thing you need to do is get a bit more of an active lifestyle. That doesn't mean that you should immediately hit the gym and go all out or run a marathon. 

Take a step by step approach. You will find thousands of websites and forums giving you plans. Not all will work for you but some will. I guarantee that. It may take you some time to find that right one but over a few experiments you will get there. Don't experiment with food yet. Get out of the bed or the house first. One thing at a time.

No comments: